Cryptocurrencies are gaining popularity day-by-day. Are you considering the idea of accepting Bitcoin as well as other digital currencies on your website developed, say, on the basis of best themes for WordPress as a way of payment? It’s rather smart. But do you know how to get started with cryptocurrency and how to process Bitcoin payments with WordPress?
Bitunit - Bitcoin Cryptocurrency WordPress Theme
No worries, we are going to discuss what Bitcoin is, consider the benefits of accepting this digital currency, and other altcoins, on your site in this article. Then we will talk about the tools you need to start receiving Bitcoin as payment. They include Bitcoin wallets, digital payment processor services, and cryptocurrency WordPress plugins.
When you finish your reading you’ll clearly know how to set up Bitcoin payments with WordPress. Furthermore, you will get a better understanding of the services and plugins available to help you with the task.
By the way, do you have a website already? Click here to view finance WordPress templates if you are still searching for the perfect fit.
ChainBit - Bitcoin WordPress Theme
More about Bitcoin
We are sure that you have already heard about this popular cryptocurrency. So what is Bitcoin? It is a decentralized digital currency that works without a central bank or single administrator. It was created by a person or group of people in 2009 and released under the name Satoshi Nakamato.
The value of Bitcoin has quickly grown over the recent years. It is the most well-known cryptocurrency of all for today. Did you know that there are over 1000 cryptocurrencies in circulation nowadays?
Here are some of the other popular cryptocurrencies:
There are two methods used by investors to grow their Bitcoin stock: mining and making direct purchases. Nevertheless, taking payments online in Bitcoin is becoming something common. That is why, if you run an eCommerce project or accept payments online for services, whatever, then offering Bitcoin as well as other cryptocurrency payment options is a brilliant idea.
MineBit - Bitcoin Cryptocurrency WordPress Theme
Why should I care about accepting Bitcoin payments?
The answer is obvious. It’s beneficial. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of taking Bitcoin payments on your WordPress website.
- Bitcoin can be accepted from anyone, anywhere no matter of their location. This means that you can sell your goods even to customers who have no credit cards and PayPal accounts.
- Paying with Bitcoin is anonymous. You don’t need to disclose your personal information making a purchase. This surely appeals to the buyers who are reluctant to share their sensitive data online.
- Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer digital currency. The transaction doesn’t require third-party banking service. This helps to keep Bitcoin transaction fees low.
This was a tidbit of info about Bitcoin and why it’s worth to consider accepting it on your WordPress website. Now it’s time to know how to get started…
What you need for the start
Before starting to accept Bitcoin payments with WordPress you will need to:
- Create a Bitcoin wallet
- Sign up with a digital payment processor service
- Install a cryptocurrency WordPress plugin
Now we’ll dwell on each point
Creating a Bitcoin wallet
What is a Bitcoin wallet? It is a software program where you can safely store your Bitcoins (private Bitcoin data/keys) once you earn them.
Where can you keep your wallet? Wallets can be stored on your desktop, hardware, mobile device or on the web. There are numerous wallet options for each platform, so you’d better do a thorough research before taking a decision which one is best for you.
Please note that some digital payment processor services provide an online wallet service (Bitpay and CoinBase). Other payment gateways deposit Bitcoin funds as equivalent currency into your bank, Mollie. In this case, you will not need a Bitcoin wallet at all.
Signing up with a digital payment processor service
A digital payment processor service will let you take Bitcoin payments on your WordPress website. This is not critical, but it is the easiest way to accept Bitcoin as well as other altcoins.
When you’ll accept a Bitcoin payment on your site, a payment processor will automatically deposit the Bitcoin into your wallet. It also provides the option of transferring your Bitcoin into your local currency and depositing it into your bank account.
Here are a few digital payment processor services you can sign up with
Bitpay provides a popular Bitcoin wallet and payment processor service. This solution enables Bitcoin payments with WordPress. They are sent directly to your Bitcoin wallet and/or bank account in the currency of your choice.
Bitpay can send funds to banks in over 38 countries, in numerous currencies. It is integrated with over 40 eCommerce platforms and solutions that support WooCommerce, Gravity Forms, Shopify, and so on.
CoinBase is a good alternative to Bitpay. This is a digital platform and online wallet service that can deal with payments from your WordPress website in Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. These cryptocurrencies can then be sent to your altcoin wallet or exchanged by CoinBase into your local currency and sent to your bank account.
CoinGate is a digital payment processor service. It accepts over 45 cryptocurrencies. With a Coingate WooCommerce plugin, it will quickly allow you to integrate your online store with Coingate’s service.
Once CoinGate is set up it works similarly to the previous two payment processors mentioned above. It will transfer funds from your website into your bank account or your digital wallet. CoinGate doesn’t provide its own online wallet service and recommends to use the Digital wallet Electrum.
Install a WordPress Plugin
Well, once you have chosen a digital wallet and signed up with a payment processor service, you can add Bitcoin payment integration to your WordPress website. There are a number of plugins providing this function. You can find the best of them down below.
Bitcoin plugins to install & accept payments on your WordPress site
Digital Paybox is a plugin allowing to distribute files through payments. It gives people the possibility to decide how much to pay and what payment gateway to use (PayPal, Payza/Alertpay, Skrill/Moneybookers, Authorize.Net, InterKassa, EgoPay, Perfect Money, Credit/Debit Cards (via Stripe), Bitcoins (via BitPay)). However, you can always set a minimum limit of their payments or even set a fixed amount for each file separately. Once the payment is completed, the plugin automatically sends the temporary encrypted download link to the payer’s e-mail address.
BitPay is one of the world’s leading Bitcoin business solutions. This is a payment gateway extension allowing you to accept payments via Bitcoins and your BitPay account for items through Easy Digital Downloads.
- Physical Products
- On-site Checkout
- Digital Products
- Mature Content
- Off-site Checkout
- Direct Bank Transfers
GoUrl is an official Bitcoin/Altcoin payment gateway for WordPress.
- 100% Free Open Source on Github.com
- No Monthly Fee, Transaction Fee from 0%. Set your own prices in USD, EUR, GBP, RUB, AUD (100 currencies)
- No ID Required, No Bank Account Needed. Global, Anonymous, Secure, No Chargebacks, Zero Risk
- Get payments straight to your bitcoin/altcoin wallets and convert to USD/EUR/etc later. All in automatic mode
- Accept Bitcoin, BitcoinCash, Litecoin, Dash, Dogecoin, Speedcoin, Reddcoin, Potcoin, Feathercoin, Vertcoin, Peercoin, UniversalCurrency, MonetaryUnit payments Online on your WordPress website
- Pay-Per-Product – advanced solution for your registered users: sell any products on the website, invoices with buyer confirmation email, etc
- Pay-Per-Download – simple solution for your unregistered visitors: make money on file downloads
- Pay-Per-View/Page – for your unregistered visitors: offer paid access to your premium content/videos
- Pay-Per-Membership – for your registered users: offer paid access to your premium content
- Working with third-party plugins – good support for third-party plugins (WoCommerce, Jigoshop, bbPress, AppThemes, etc)
- Direct Integration on your website, no external payment pages opens.
- Auto Synchronization – between payments data stored on your GoUrl.io account and your Website. If GoUrl attempts to deliver a payment notification/transaction confirmation but your website is unavailable, the notification is stored in the queue, and delivered to your website when it becomes available.
- Free Tech Support for you.
Here is a brief list of this WordPress plugin for WooCommerce features:
- 100% Free Open Source Plugin on Github.com
- Provides a Cryptocurrency Payment Gateway for WooCommerce 2.1 or higher
- Accept Bitcoin, BitcoinCash, Litecoin, Dash, Dogecoin, Speedcoin, Reddcoin, Potcoin, Feathercoin, Vertcoin, Peercoin, MonetaryUnit payments in WooCommerce
- No Monthly Fee, No Bank Account Needed, Transaction Fee from 0%
- No Chargebacks, Global, Secure. All in automatic mode.
- Get crypto payments straight to your bitcoin/altcoin wallet addresses.
- Live Exchange Rates with additional Exchange Rate Multiplier
- Direct Integration on your website, no external payment pages opens
- Free Tech Support for you
Quickly integrates all major payment methods in WooCommerce wherever you need them. Simply drop them ready-made into your WooCommerce webshop with this powerful plugin by Mollie. Mollie is dedicated to making payments better for WooCommerce.
There is no need to spend weeks on paperwork or security compliance procedures. No more lost conversions because you don’t support a shopper’s favorite payment method or because they don’t feel safe. The plugin makes payments intuitive and safe for merchants and their customers.
Would you like to accept Credit Cards, BitCoin, Alipay & Apple Pay on your website? Stripe Payment Gateway Plugin for WooCommerce lets you accept credit card payments directly on your website via Stripe payment gateway.
With this plugin, your customers can use their credit cards during the checkout process and Stripe.com handles the rest. This means a smoother experience for your users as they don’t have to leave your website to make payments.
What’s more, a unique and intuitive stripe overview page will provide you with a consolidated overview of Stripe Payments, where you can do one-click capture and refund.
Over to you
We sincerely hope that this article helped you learn how to accept Bitcoin payments on your WordPress site. As you see, there is an array of plugins and methods available for enabling the process of accepting Bitcoin payments with WP. The choice of tools depends on the type of your site and the requirements of your audience. What’s important, you can always try another solution to see if it works better for you and make sure that you are using the best-fit Bitcoin solution for your site.
So, which Cryptocurrency plugin would you select for accepting Bitcoin payments with WordPress? Please share your choice in the comments section below.